Salt Lake City, UT -- July 22, 2007



She’s got to read it now. If she doesn’t, it’ll be ruined. In the sixth book, Dumbledore died and people made t-shirts that said that and the book was ruined for her. She doesn’t want that to happen again so, even though her Potter history is as follows, she’s plunging ahead:

1st one-read
2nd & 3rd - skipped
4th-listened to on tape
5th-watched the movie
6th- skipped

She’s been reading since she was three years old, beginning with the Little Monster series by Mercer Mayer. Every week her dad would bring her home a new book.

When she was eight she read her first Stephen King book--Misery. Her mom had been reading it to her but it was taking too long so she just took the book from her mother. Stephen King is her mother’s favorite author.

Her Dad likes Tom Wolfe books, like The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test and also One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest, by Ken Kesey. He also likes nonfiction.

Her favorite book—She can’t decide. She likes Choke, by Chuck Palahniuk; The Dark Half, by Stephen King; American Gods, by Neil Gaiman.

She loves reading—there’s something about being able to escape in a more imaginative way. Any book will give a different perspective. She likes Lord of the Flies because of how the characters progress.

What would her book be about? It’d be a journey, showing resilience. It would begin with a tragedy that would need to be overcome and, though it wouldn’t necessarily be overcome. It would end at a point where there would be choices.

She is a librarian at the Salt Lake City Public Library and is also, coincidentally, a member of the anarchist collective, Boing, where I was at earlier in the day.

What she likes about Salt Lake City is the incredible community (and she knows about community--she's from Brooklyn), for instance, Boing, a bicycle collective, and groups that put gallery and fashion strolls. The music scene, she says, is tight.

Thank you for the apples!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gosh, that's me!! I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows after about two weeks. It took my boyfriend two days. Granted, I was at the tail-end of my degree, so that slowed me down.

I love your blog! It's been fun seeing what other people are reading, how many of those I've read, how many of those I hope to read.

You did me justice, except I am not sure why I told you I'm from Brooklyn - originally I'm from Queens - my parents are from Brooklyn. (The boroughs, what difference does it really make?)

Thanks!